Saturday, October 23, 2010

Salt Dough Pumpkins



I am enjoying a slice of quiet at my mom's house for a few hours.  And also enjoying her beloved Mac.  It is her sixth grandchild :)  Steven took Ellie and Luke with him to the airport in Huntsville to pick up a friend.  Andrew is asleep.  And I finished up a quick, but fun visit with my youngest sister, Kate, who was in town briefly before she headed right back to Chattanooga.  Now waiting anxiously for the Auburn game to start.

This week was the letter "H".  We didn't stick to it very well.  Very hard for me not to do things relating to fall and especially pumpkins.  There are so many cute pumpkin projects online.  I found a recipe for salt dough pumpkins.  Super simple and very basic ingredients.  2 cups of flour, 1 cup of water, and 1 cup of salt.  Although, I ended up adding almost an extra cup of flour.  The dough is entirely too sticky with just the called for 2 cups.



You just roll into balls and have at it.  We used toothpicks for the indentations.  I usually am very intentional about letting the Ellie and Luke do their thing and not taking over.  But this one was very hard for me.  So I just rolled a few balls for myself and made my own.  Break a toothpick in half and poke it in the top BEFORE you bake.  Bake at 250 degrees (btw, is there something on the computer for the degree symbol?).   Bake for 2 and a half hours.  Let them cool for at least four hours and then paint.  So, really it is two little projects in one.

Can you tell which ones are mine? :)


I would tell you more about our week, but the Tigers are getting started.  War Eagle!!!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

So cute, Ann! I'll have to bookmark this for next year. This is the kind of thing I dream of doing with my children, but the fact of the matter is that I'm usually too overwhelmed with daily life that it never becomes a reality. I need a partner in crafts. That usually ends up being my MIL, since she's into doing fun things with the kids, and I always have more energy when she's around. If only she came for visits more than every few months. But anyway, I can see myself doing this type of thing in another year, I think.

P.S. It looks like most of the pumpkins were yours. Is that right, or are the kids that good?

Unknown said...

Next time cut your water to 3/4th cups. It will come out perfectly! Then kneed it until it is soft. They will roll easier. :)

mindfullcreations.blogspot.com